If you're out at the local mall Christmas shopping this holiday season, park carefully.
Data from NRMA Insurance reveals that there are around 250 shopping trolley accidents each year – with many of these accidents occurring in December during the Christmas rush.
Shopping may cost you more than you think
“The quick dash to the shopping centre to buy a last-minute gift may cost you more than you think if you end up involved in a collision,” said NRMA Insurance Head of Research, Robert McDonald.
“Typical parking collisions involved hitting other cars, runaway shopping trolleys, or scraping pylons and poles, with 46 per cent of car park collisions occurring while reversing.
We want to encourage drivers to obey the parking rules and get into the Christmas spirit by being considerate and alert for other drivers when circling the car park. Stress can affect your concentration and losing focus for even a second puts you at a greater risk of having a collision.”
For a less stressful Christmas parking experience, NRMA Insurance offers the following tips:
- Obey the parking rules and traffic directions and be alert for other drivers who don’t
- Drive slowly and look out for distracted shoppers
- When reversing in or out of a car space, go slow and don’t just rely on your mirrors – look over your shoulder as well
- Reversing cameras and sensors can help, but drivers should still be aware of what’s around them
- If you can, reverse into a car space, so it’s easier to see in both directions when pulling out
- Keep an eye out for any unaccompanied trolleys before you get in your car and always make sure to keep your own shopping trolley close
- Do your bit for other drivers by returning shopping trolleys to their bay
- Use indicators every time you make a turn
- Don’t pull out around cars that are waiting to drive into a parking space – be patient and give them room to move
Do the right thing
If you do damage to a parked car, do the right thing and leave a note with your details; and if you witness a collision, pass on any information you have to the innocent party.
“With Christmas around the corner, we’re calling for shoppers to allow for extra time and to take it easy while at the wheel when navigating car parks,” said Mr McDonald.
*Based on NRMA Insurance Comprehensive Car Insurance claims FY 14/15