Australians are known for their adventurous spirit and love of globetrotting and do travel beyond the obvious choices of New Zealand, Thailand and Bali.
So where are our most popular overseas holiday destinations at the moment?
Here's five that are a big hit with Australian travellers right now:
Fiji is blessed with white sand beaches, turquoise waters and unspoiled natural surroundings, which makes it a perfect holiday destination and hugely popular with Australian travellers.
Plus it's location in the heart of the South Pacific and only a few hours flight off our East coast means it's easy and inexpensive to get to.
Top 5 must-do things in Fiji:
- Soak up the culture in Nadi. Visit the open-air souvenir market, and sample local dishes. Try the fresh fish curry and spiced roti.
- Take a helicopter tour to the Mamanuca Islands.
- Spend the day at the famous Natadola beach for some sunbathing, surfing, snorkeling or horse-riding.
- Go diving at Beqa Island and experience the marine life. Make sure your travel insurance covers you for this!
- Go hiking on Taveuni Island, also known as the ‘Garden of Eden’ of Fiji.
Japan is a cultural haven with a unique civilisation that combines traditional and extremely modern.
It's a proud, warm and very welcoming culture.
With its culinary specialties, stunning mountains, cherry blossoms and temples, it's no wonder Japan has become a hit with Australian tourists.
What’s more, the meticulous nature of the Japanese people in every aspect of their lives will make your stay both interesting and enriching.
Top 5 must-do things in Japan:
- Hike around Mount Fuji.
- Visit some of Kyoto’s ancient sites, such as Kinkakuji temple.
- Stay with monks at one of Mount Koya’s mountaintop temples.
- Ski at Niseko, a small ski-resort town in Hokkaido.
- Pay your respects at the Hiroshima’s Peace Memorial Park.
Singapore's cosmopolitan lifestyle and bustling atmosphere makes it popular with Australians.
Also known as "Lion City", there's so much to discover.
It's famous for its flavoursome food, with influences from Malaysia, China, Indonesia, and India.
It's also known for its iconic parklands, buzzing nightlife and excellent shopping.
Top 5 must-do things in Singapore:
- Visit Marina Bay at night to catch the spectacular light show.
- Eat alfresco-style, shop and bar/club hop along the lively and picturesque Clarke Quay.
- Enjoy the view from The Singapore Flyer, the world’s largest observation wheel.
- Visit Universal Studios Singapore, the first of its kind in Southeast Asia.
- Visit the amazing Gardens by the Bay, a massive, colourful futuristic park.
Vietnam has climbed to the top of many Australians’ bucket lists.
This is largely due to the breathtaking landscape, friendly people, affordability, world-famous beaches and superb cuisine.
There's so much to explore in Vietnam, that one trip is never enough!
Top 5 must-do things in Vietnam:
- Staying with an ethnic family in the Northern mountain area of Sa Pa.
- Go on a boat trip on Halong Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit Hoi An’s ancient street. Don’t forget to stop by one of Hoi An’s many fantastic tailor shops on the way!
- Soak up the sun on the beach in Nha Trang.
- Take a cruise on the Mekong Delta to see the floating markets.
Hawaii and its neighbouring islands, boasts the perfect climate, relaxing beachside resorts, beautiful scenery, US fashion shopping and incredible nightlife.
Top 5 must-do things in Hawaii:
- Explore Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park.
- Hike along the incredible Na Pali Coast, Kauai.
- Witness Humpback Whales in the wild on a whale watching trip off the coast of Maui.
- Take a surfing lesson in Oahu, which is home to one of the greatest surfs in the world.
- Soak up some history at Pearl Harbour.
Tempted to book a trip? When planning your next overseas visit, don’t forget to arrange your International Travel Insurance.